Re: Win32 TWAIN DLL to interface with SANE

Brion Vibber (brion@pobox.com)
Wed, 13 May 1998 01:41:14 -0700

Graham Stoney wrote:

> As others have pointed out, it doesn't exist yet, but I think it would be a
> truly worthwhile project which would go a long way towards narrowing the gulf
> between TWAIN and Sane. It would also be really good for "selling" Sane's
> advantages, since it's something that would be rather difficult under TWAIN's
> architecture. TWAIN users would be able to access scanners remotely via Sane,
> and would ask themselves "why can't I access a scanner remotely with TWAIN?".

Absolutely... I have an old Mustek scanner, which right now is on a
Win95 box but which I could easily move to a Linux box; being able to
scan from anywhere on the network (a mix of Linux, Win95, and dual-boot
machines with Gimp on Linux and Photoshop on Windows) would simplify
things greatly. I don't have the experience with either SANE or TWAIN
programming to give this a go myself, but I'd be glad to help test such
a port & do what hacking on it that I can.

-- brion vibber (brion@pobox.com)