Re: [umax] Can't use 10-bit scan: "preview cannot handle depth 16"

Warren Early (earlyw@sphinx-group.com)
Tue, 12 May 1998 13:01:46 -0700 (PDT)

My experience with using transparency adapters and 35MM slides is not
good. One needs at least an 1800dpi *true* optical resolution (not
interpolated) scanner to get a decent image because the aperture and
format is so small. You may also have trouble with 'Newton rings' which
are discolorations at the edges due to reflections from glass surfaces and
refractions of the light spectrum. If you need to scan 35mm slides better
to get either a dedicated slide/film scanner or a mixed-media sanner such
as the AGFA Duo-Scan or Microtek Scanmaker 5.