Re: HP Photoscan

Craig Ruff (cruff@niwot.scd.ucar.edu)
Tue, 12 May 1998 07:42:17 -0600

On Sun, May 10, 1998 at 03:10:06PM -0400, Pkirchg wrote:
> > It looks like HP only provides a driver for win95, but the device is
> > SCSI-II, and the box says it's twain compliant.

I'm using it successfully on my Adaptec 7880 (aka 2940 UW) motherboard SCSI.

> I asked HP for information about the scanner, but they told me there
> is no information available.

I too, have not gotten any response when I asked the Photo Scanner
contact listed in the PhotoSmart developer's kit.

> It is quite good. But the quality of the backend which I am just working
> on is not as good as the Win95 Software you will get with the scanner
> (missing automatic contrast settings, color inversion for negatives,
> scanning slides/negatives slower by a factor of 2 at 2400 dpi).

I have a method for correcting for the negative's orange mask and
inverting it to a positive. It seems to be fairly good, giving
a result that is similar to the Win95 software for the scanner.
Now if we can get automatic frame location, we could automatically
scan a negative strip.