Re: [umax] Can't use 10-bit scan: "preview cannot handle depth 16"

Paul D. Robertson (proberts@clark.net)
Fri, 8 May 1998 00:08:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Jim Ford wrote:

> On Wed, 6 May 1998, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
>
> > BTW: The transparency adapter on the Astra 1200S doesn't seem to auto
> > shut off like the flatbed lamp, and i have to scan from the bed to get it
>
> Hi Paul.
>
> Is the transparency adaptor worth getting - will it handle negs OK?
> In the U.K. it costs the same price as the scanner itself!

I've mixed feelings at this point. I originally tried a mini lightbox
upsidown over the glass, and that didn't get appreciably better results
than scanning in flatbed mode. I just tried some gamma stuff, but rather
than doing exactly as Oliver suggested (Yes, I'm hardheaded), I put "2"
into the preview gamma box, and now it's scanning way too brightly. So
far, I've been unable to get it back to "normal" (erasing
~/.sane/xscanimage/* and power cycling the scanner seems not to have had
an effect - its almost time to read the docs).

The adapter seems to work, and *if* I can get the gamma correction working
right, I'm sure it will be well-worth it for me. In its current incantation,
it works _alright_ for bright slides, as long as I add about 93 to the
Image->Brightness/Contrast sliders in the GIMP. Darker slides don't scan
well, and negatives are much worse.

Once I get things back to normal, I'll see what I can do with the gamma
stuff, and report my results back to the list.

Since I've got some 6x6 and 6x4.5 slides and negatives, and there aren't
a large number of alternatives, I'm in this for as long as I can stand
it, or until someone comes out with an inexpensive 120/220 scanner that
will work with sane.

Lest this come off as negative (no pun intended), I'm amazed at the
ammount of effort and progress the SANE team has made, especially
Oliver's progress with color (colour) on the 1200S. I bought the 1200S
as soon as the price and Oliver's efforts coincided, and I'm really happy
that I did. It's so close to meeting all of my needs that I'm very
optomistic.

Paul