Re: [umax] Can't use 10-bit scan: "preview cannot handle depth 16"

Paul D. Robertson (proberts@clark.net)
Wed, 6 May 1998 22:51:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 6 May 1998 Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE wrote:

> But if you use gamma correction, the image is scanned with 10 bits/color
> and converted with a 10 to 8 bit gamma table, so you get improvement
> by the 10 bit mode of your scanner.

I keep trying to get gamma corrected images, I've finally recompiled
enough libraries to get xscanimage to work, but whenever I try to draw a
higher line on the image brightness scale, the colors come out weird. Is
there an easy way to achieve a brighter scan easily? Will scanning at 10
bits help me with the brightening in Gimp?

BTW: The transparency adapter on the Astra 1200S doesn't seem to auto
shut off like the flatbed lamp, and i have to scan from the bed to get it
to do so, is this just something that was missed, or am I seeing
something strange? I also think I got a crash when I tried 10 bits with
the adapter the first time, but I've been unwilling to try to recreate,
is this supposed to work?

Overall sane is working pretty well, thanks for all your hard work.

Paul