Re: Coolscan not detected

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Wed, 6 May 1998 12:51:45 +0200 (MET DST)

Andreas Tille wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I completely new to this list and sane. I hope that this isn't a FAQ.
> I'm using Debian/GNU Linux (hamm = frozen) with sane-0.72.
> Hardware: K6, Buslogic BT-930 SCSI contoller (no other SCSI devices
> than the Nikon Coolscan (LS-20)) so I can't check whether the contoller
> works under Linux).
>
> I'm able to access the LS-20 under Win 95, but this is not what I wanted
> to do ;-). I brought this Scanner because it is the only slidescanner
> which is supported by sane.
>
> I tried
>
> ~> scanimage -L
> device `pnm:0' is a Noname PNM file reader virtual device
> device `pnm:1' is a Noname PNM file reader virtual device
>
> ... and as you see the Coolscan isn't listed.
>
> My /etc/sane.d/dll.conf (this is the Debian location of the configuration
> file looks like
>
> # enable the next line if you want to allow access through the network:
> #net
> # apple
> # canon
> coolscan
> # dmc
> # epson
> # hp
> # microtek
> # mustek
> # pint
> pnm
> # ... more comments
>
> and coolscan.conf is
>
> /dev/scanner
>
> where /dev/scanner is a symbolic link to sg5 (5 is the SCSI address of
> scanner).

It should be "sga". The sg devices are allocated when a device is found.
As the scanner is the only one, it's at sga.

Roger.

> I use compiled the SCSI controller as module. So when I do
>
> >modprobe BusLogic
> scsi2 : BusLogic BT-930
> scsi : 2 hosts.
> Vendor: Nikon Model: COOLSCAN II Rev: 1.02
> Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> The scanner seems to be detected well.
>
> I havn't any idea why it isn't detected in the device list of scanimage.
>
> What is my fault?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Andreas.

If it's there and you can see it, it's REAL      |___R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl  |
If it's there and you can't see it, it's TRANSPARENT |  Tel: +31-15-2137555  |
If it's not there and you can see it, it's VIRTUAL   |__FAX:_+31-15-2138217  |
If it's not there and you can't see it, it's GONE! -- Roy Wilks, 1983  |_____|