Re: Info Request: UMAX Astra 1200S

Jim Ford (jim@watford.net)
Mon, 4 May 1998 16:09:55 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 4 May 1998 Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> > Are you by any chance thinking of adding a driver for the 1220S, which
> > I've just bought?
> Did you try it, what happends?
>
> > > You know that the scsi-card delivered with the scanner is not supported
> > > by linux? I suggest you get a NCR/SymbiosLogic 8XX Card, that is
> > > support fine! If you do so, use the NCR-BSD-8XX-Driver!
> >
> > Any particular reason for the NCR card as against any other - I've got an
> > AHA1542 for instance which I'm thinking of using?
> The Adaptec 1542 works, but it is slow if you use it in a pci-mainboard.
> Just try if it is ok. In my system it was much to slow!

Thanks for the reply Oliver.

I've not tried my scanner with Linux yet - I'm using the card that came
with it and haven't got any SCSI drivers installed in my kernal at the
moment. I think my next move is to get an NCR card as advised and give it
a try. I'll do this soon and keep you posted.

Regards: Jim Ford