Re: Info Request: UMAX Astra 1200S

Jeremy Probber (woozy@rocketmail.com)
Mon, 4 May 1998 12:09:01 -0700 (PDT)

---Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who responded to my recent
request for a list of
> scanners supported under SANE.
>
> Based on the data I collected, I am considering the
purchase of a UMAX
> Astra 1200S scanner.
>
> However, before I make this purchase, I'd like to
hear the experiences
> of other people who purchased this scanner. How
well does it work,
> any problems or pitfalls that I should be aware of,
etc.? Good points
> and bad points? Are you satisfied with it, and
would you recommend
> its purchase to someone else?
>
> Please respond ASAP. I'm currently up in the Bay
Area and would like
> to purchase it while I'm up here (better selection
and prices), and I
> may leave as early as tomorrow evening. Many
thanks in advance!
> (Please respond by e-mail if possible, thanks!)
> --
> Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
> Web: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/

majordomo@mostang.com

Hi Donald,

I purchased an Astra 1200s about a month ago, and
beyond the few initial little problems (Mostly due to
my lack of experience with Linux) that I had getting
Sane up and running It works great. The scanner is
connected to my Adaptec 2940u which also has my 2
main Linux hard drives and a zip drive on the same
SCSI bus. Besides the fact that activity on the bus
might stop for a second or two it hasn't crashed once
(the bus delay when scanning also happens on 95 + NT).
The quality is good and I have scanned some fairly
hefty images without any problems.

-Jeremy