Re: Sane patches/observations on solaris 2.6/umax s6-e

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 08:15:57 +0200 (MET DST)

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Michael Polo wrote:

> > By the way, on large scans, the scanner seems to back up. Is
> > there a buffer size to change somewhere to make it scan in one
> > pass without pausing? I have 128Mb of memory and I thought if
> > the scsi bus could keep up, the system could. Any ideas?
>
> I do suspect that this is related to the scanner. I have a HP Scanjet 5p
> And even when the system is busy I don't have this backup behaviour of the
> scanner. It scan in one smooth motion.

My "guess" was that if the system could issue the next read command
within the right timelimit, the scanner would be able to keep on
going. However, whatever I do, my scanner will backtrack on every
"read" that is issued.

It seems that the scanner doesn't "multitask" very well. It should
internally keep on scanning, until it runs out of buffer space, not
stop once it has satisfied the current "read" command.

On Linux we have the source to the generic scsi driver, and there are
patches to increase the buffer size, allowing you larger "read"
commands. Wether that's possible on your sun, I can't say.

I'm talking about the Tamarack. But is not valid for HPs as Hugo says,
but probably is for Musteks.

Roger.

--
If it's there and you can see it, it's REAL      |___R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl  |
If it's there and you can't see it, it's TRANSPARENT |  Tel: +31-15-2137555  |