Re: OFFTOPIC: What's a good scanner for Sane and...

Bob van der Poel (bvdpoel@kootenay.com)
Wed, 01 Apr 1998 20:00:01 -0700

Fred Leeflang wrote:

> From the SANE documentation, Microtek looks like a good choice (am I
> right?) but after browsing around on the web I find that apparently
> Microtek really wants to sell their scanners along with photoshop (which
> I don't want :).

I have a Microtek E3 and figure that for the money it is not a bad
scanner.
However, I would never purchase anything again from Microtek! I had some
problems with the scanner while still under warranty and had a very
tough
time getting though to Microtek to get a RMA. They have an 800 # but
don't accept service requests on it...for that you have to use the pay
#.
According to the gal at the 800 # the average wait time (while I was
paying)
was about 40 minutes. They also didn't respond to faxes. They finally
(after
about 10 days) did reply to email and I finally got it all shipped back,
fixed
and returned (once in the system it was reasonable). But the BS I had to
go
though to get some simple service has forever left a bad taste in my
mouth
in regards to Microtek. My advise is to check the return policy/method
BEFORE
you buy.

--

__ / ) / Bob van der Poel /--< ____/__ bvdpoel@kootenay.com /___/_(_) /_) http://www.kootenay.com/~bvdpoel