Re: When will SANE we gtk+-0.99.8 compliant?

Hugo van der Kooij (hvdkooij@caiw.nl)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 13:58:26 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Arnoud de Geus wrote:

> I recently bought a Scanjet 5P, and was advised to use
> Gimp/Sane for scanning under Linux.
>
> I generated and installed Gtk+ 0.99.8, Gimp 0.99.23,
> and both seem to work fine. Then I tried to generate
> Sane 0.71, and got the following problems:
>
> 1. During Gtk installation the file glibconfig.h was not
> installed to /usr/local/include, but /usr/local/include/glib.h
> includes this file. A copy action quickly resolved this
> problem.
>
> 2. frontend/gtkglue.c seems to make calls to older versions
> of Gtk to functions no longer in the library:
>
> gtk_tooltips_set_tips has disappeared and a new functions
> gtk_tooltips_set_tip has to be used. Furthermore
> gtk_tooltips_unref is no longer there.

> 3. frontend/xcam.c does a call to gdk_set_debug_level
> which also had disappeared.

A patch for items 2 and 3 was posted here several times. So check the
archives!

See:

> Last but not least, the documentation which comes with
> Sane, is quite brief on the following. What to do, when
> you installed Sane with make install, to get your
> HP Scanjet to work (adding a device in /dev and so
> on).

The documentation is frank enough about the statement that a lot needs to
be done yet in regard to the documentation.

Hugo.

| Hugo van der Kooij | Hugo.van.der.Kooij@caiw.nl |
| 3155 VJ Maasland | (De man met de rode hoed) |