Re: Need some advice

Allan Strand (astrand@linum.cofc.edu)
19 Mar 1998 16:00:36 -0500

Jeremy Probber <woozy@rocketmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I am new to sane and need some advice. I am
> planning to buy UMAX 1200s and was wondering what
> experience any of you might have had with this
> scanner running under sane. I also have a 2940u
> Adaptec SCSI card, which has 2 internal HD's and a
> zip drive hooked up to it.
>
> My main question is, is it possible to run my 2
> Linux HD's and a zip off of the same host adapter
> without my computer crashing or freezing. I was
> reading some doc at the sane web site that said you
> might want to use a second SCSI host adapter, which
> for me is impossible as I am all out of PCI slots
> (and cash for that matter ;-).
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -Jeremy

Jeremy,

I have an UMAX 610S and run it on a 2940 "plain". There is a HD,
CDROM and DAT tape attached to the same card. This is a personal
machine so there is not an excessive amount of disk beating. I have
found that this setup works ok, but there have been a couple of times
over the past two weeks that I've had the scanner that I did manage to
crash the SCSI bus = crashed system in my case

A.

--
Allan E. Strand                Internet:   stranda@cofc.edu
Department of Biology          Phone:      (843) 953-8085