Re: Mustek 600 II N problems

Andreas Czechanowski (m075@ins.uni-stuttgart.de)
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 10:24:25 +0100 (MET)

Hello Johan !

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Johan Bengtsson wrote:

> is there anything i can do to make it work?

Try the following (as root), as a first error localization:

export SANE_DEBUG_MUSTEK=3
export SANE_DEBUG_SANEI_AB306=4
xscanimage mustek

Your scanner *may* work now, because of the additional delay of the
debugging messages. If not, send me the debugging output you get.

> When I start xscanimage (logged in as root) the scanners lamp is
> blinking and there are the normal sounds of the scanner starting up,
> but when i try to scan or preview an image the program looks up....

This problem was reported by someone before who uses a Pentium-200.
It seems to be a weird timing problem produced by the Mustek
firmware-programmers:

The scanner indicates "ready", but there are still some internal flags
not set correctly. So, when the Linux-machine is fast enough polling
the ISA bus interface, it sends the first command byte before the
scanner's u-controller has redirected the interrupt in the right way.
On my old 386-33, this was never a problem, but since I also have
upgraded to a 586-200, the same effect occurs.

I'll re-send a patch to this mailing list I got from the one who
found this timing problem first (re-checking the patch before).
It basicly adds some delay at the critical positions.

Regards,

Andreas.