Re: sane-0.70 is out

Kevin R. Charter (charter@cs.ualberta.ca)
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:01:01 -0700

Sascha Ziemann wrote:

> Kevin R. Charter wrote:
>
> > You should be able to get rid of this by commenting out the "snapscan" line in
> > <installation directory>/etc/sane.d/dll.conf. The snapscan backend won't get
> > loaded then and you won't see those messages.
>
> This is not the right way to do that imho. The program should start. And
> after this it should be possible to select the backend. Even better
> would be an automatic selection of the backend. The simple search tool
> is able to find my scanner. Why is the main program not able to find it?

I'll fix the snapscan backend so it doesn't complain anymore about finding the
wrong scanner unless the debugging level is appropriately set, and make a patch
available.

As for finding your scanner, my understanding is that xscanimage should be
able to find it. Was xscanimage stopping completely when the snapscan
backend generated those messages? If so, there could be a bug in the snapscan
backend that is preventing xscanimage from finding your scanner. (You're
using an HP scanner, right?

Kevin

--
Kevin Charter                        /\                      Grad Studies
charter@cs.ualberta.ca            /\/  \  Department of Computing Science