Re: HP Scanjet 4p and NetBSD/Sparc

Julian Coleman (J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk)
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 17:27:48 +0000 (GMT)

David Mosberger-Tang wrote:

> Could well be a bug in the NetBSD version of the SANE scsi routines
> (in sanei/sanei_scsi.c). I don't think they have been tested all that
> well (or is anyone else using SANE under NetBSD at present?).

It did compile without any errors (apart from one easily fixable), but
maybe some of the parameters are not useful for NetBSD. From what I
could see, it looks like it should work. Maybe the timeout values are
incorrect.

I've asked if anyone else is running SANE on the NetBSD/Sparc mailing
list.

> The information is not "public" but you can send mail to
> hp_scan@greeley.sykes.com and ask how to get the necessary docs.

I was curious what the commands were, although it's fairly simple to see
the basic command set just by UTSL'ing! I also wondered if the 4p didn't
respond to some commands, which might explain some of the wierdness I saw.
There was another posting on the list mentioning that the dpi setting went
to 1600 (because nothing came back from the scanner?).

Eric Ludlam wrote:

> In his last post to this newsgroup, the patch is at:
>
> ftp://irving.apl.washington.edu/pub/sane/sane-0.68-newhp.patch.README
> ftp://irving.apl.washington.edu/pub/sane/sane-0.68-newhp.patch.gz
>
> and is for sane-0.68

I shall look at this first. If it has the same problems, I shall investigate
further. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks,

    1024/55A5BC19        0F 3F 62 56 18 10 8B 84  43 8F F4 94 93 37 76 AA

S.E.P.