Re: SANE works on SPARCLinux!

William T Wilson (fluffy@dunadan.com)
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 22:49:07 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Justin wrote:

> Only problem relates to the sparc SCSI, not sane. While the scanner is
> moving and not scanning, the kernel vomits out a steady stream of:
>
> esp0: Warning, live target 5 not responding to selection.
> (scanner is ID 5)

I get a similar error with my UMAX Astra 610 scanner (on intel, with a
T130B NCR400 SCSI card), "scsi0: Weirdness". Looking at the kernel
source, it seems that the "weirdness" is caused when the SCSI device does
not respond to its messages in a timely fashion. I think the UMAX
scanners just are not very friendly SCSI devices.

> Also, once, the scanner froze the SCSI bus and the system eventually

Mine freezes almost every time (85% of the time or so) hanging the system.
Right at the end of the scan. I've heard that it's because my SCSI card
is too feeble. Maybe you have the same problem.