forwarded message from Bruce Milner

David Mosberger-Tang (David.Mosberger@acm.org)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 23:34:09 -0800

--7XR9G+q6kx

This might be interesting to people who have a scanner for which there
is no programming documentation available.

--david

--7XR9G+q6kx

From: Bruce Milner <Bruce.Milner@genetics.utah.edu>
Sender: bruce@simpatico.genetics.utah.edu
To: David.Mosberger@acm.org
Subject: SANE and Wine (Just a FYI)
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 14:43:29 +0000

Hello David,

Bruce Milner here. This is kind of out of the blue,
but I thought you might be interested.

In the Wine project (running windows binaries under
various 386 platforms), I have added some support
to map ASPI calls into the linux generic scsi driver.

The side effect of this is that I can now run my mustek
scanner (800SPII) using twain drivers under linux (with
the hitch that Wine has a bug with the program I use when
it saves and image.) I also have heard from someone who has
successfully run an AGFA Snapscan scanner from within Wine.

Anyway, If you are having trouble getting decent
documentation about a scanner, it might be possible to
log what commands the twain drivers send via ASPI
and reproduce them for SANE. I'm sure this might be a
simplistic view, but what the hey.

Wine is still pretty buggy, so it may not be that trivial.

--bruce
Bruce.Milner@genetics.utah.edu

--7XR9G+q6kx--