Re: Mustek 1200SP: Missing Lines

Wolfgang Jung (woju@keep.in-berlin.de)
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 00:34:56 +0100

On Fri, Oct 31, 1997 at 06:53:12PM +0100, becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:
> > -->The DTC436E SCSI-Card is not recognized by the Kernel.
> > becka@rz.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:
> > >Known problem ... the card is ... *#$?%
> > >However there have recently been some reports that it can be made working
> > >somehow ...
> > Would be great. Do you remember where you read these reports?
> Sorry. Did the same mistake as Michael. Thought it was one of these.
>
> > Could be. In my case there are missing lines -sometimes up to 10
> > at a time.
> This is really much ... What FW revision do you have ? What happens when setting
> backtrack=yes ?
>
> > >Setting the strip-height should affect the frequency of the stripes.
> > Yes it does. A smaller value leads to a higher frequency.
> Ah. Seems to prove my guess that it happens at buffer boundaries.
>
> As you seem to loose many lines (I only see small misalignments, a maximum of 1 line
> maybe), you can probably check most easily :
>
> - what happens at different resoultions ? I only see the effect at medium
> resolutions of about 70-150 dpi. Higher resolutions are probably too slow moving
> or the effect it not visible enough and at lower ones, I ususally have no
> or only few boundaries.
>
> - does setting the speed-parameter produce any effect ?
>
> Another thing :
>
> Do you get a lockup (! system hangs, so take care !) when scanning with
> -mode Color -resolution 111 -y 131 with the standard SCSI buffer of 32k ?
>
> > >However the main developer of the Mustek drivers semms to be able to reproduce
> > >this problems recently, so maybe there is hope ...
> > :-)
> Seems we have tough luck with that ... I will have another look sometime,
> but am quite busy ...

I tried it at several resolutions:
a) from 75 - 1200 (I have an 1200SP 1.04 )
b) it always happens at the end of Bufferboundaries(so at the end of each
READ SCANNED DATA)
c) the scanner seems to think it did just linesperbuf lines.
So overall the scanner delivered the amount of lines.
d) I estimated 16 lines were ""overscanned"".

do the test and tell sane to just scan ONE line/buf and have the switch handy
if you scan a big areaa :). Mustek does not stop at the end of the
movable area ...