Incompatible gtk versions (Re: umax-backend)

Peter Daum (gator@cs.tu-berlin.de)
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 22:29:33 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 23:26:18 +0200 (MET DST), Oliver.Rauch@Wolfsburg.DE said:

> I think you compiled SANE with the wrong gtk installed.
> You must use the Version that is available an the sane-site,
> it is named:
> gtk+960606-davidm.tar.gz
> or something like that.

Indeed, the segfaults I struggled with were gtk-related.

Unfortunately, it isn't easy to find a gtk-version that works:
The "gtk+960606-davidm.tar.gz" that you mentioned is obviously
not available anymore - not on the sane ftp site, nor on any
mirrors. The gtk from gimp 0.99.10 that I tried doesn't work -
some functions like e.g. gtk_gamma_curve_new are missing.
Eventually, I found gtk+970828.tar.gz, which also contains the
"gtk+970606-davidm" patches; so far, it seems to work OK with
xscanimage: no more segfaults or warnings ...

To make things worse, it looks like current gimp-versions (I am
using 0.99.13) won't compile or run with any of these older gtk
libs. I left the gtk+970925 dlls installed (gimp doesn't have any
problems with these) and linked xscanimage statically with the
older gtk.

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, David Mosberger-Tang wrote:

> Quite possibly. gtk+960925 works quite well for me, but there are
> definitely a couple of bugs that were not present in 960606 with my
> patches. Hopefully, the gtk folks will fix those soon.

It would be very desirable, if gimp and sane would run with the
same version of gtk. For the moment, I suggest to mention these
problems in the sane documentation, which right now states that
sane didn't need any special gtk libs.

Furthermore, the problems with the different gtk versions will
also affect the supplied binary packages - I tried the i386 rpm:

with gtk+960925, it crashes right on startup, it's last words are
** WARNING **: file gtkbox.c: line 109 (gtk_box_pack_start): "box != NULL"

while the 0.99.10 version works as long as you avoid the missing
gtk_gamma_curve_new.

Maybe, it would be better to link the precompiled binaries
statically against gtk.

Bye,
Peter