Re: HP 4P problems

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Sat, 20 Sep 1997 17:26:18 +0200 (MET DST)

Petri Lehtonen wrote:

> >> Yes, and I've even tried to use all the /dev/sg* because I was desperate.
> >
> >Really, the "scsi_open: no such device or address" means otherwise.
>
> Actually now that I double checked it was linked from as the ID of the scanner
> is 5 the device is /dev/sgf. But using that device gives me still the same
> error.

"sg" names get assigned in order of detection. The FIRST scsi device
always gets sga. If you have nothing else on your SCSI bus, your
scanner is sga.

> Could the device files have incorrect major number, mine is as follows.
>
> crw-rw---- 1 root scanner 21, 5 Feb 12 1996 /dev/sgf
>
> SCSI-HOWTO says that generic SCSI devices have major number 21. I am not sure if
> scanners are generic SCSI devices, as I couldn't find anything on them from the
> SCSI-HOWTO.
>
> Now I noticed running scanimage on virtual terminal that there was a message say
> ing:
>
> Detected scsi general sga at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
^^^

That is the strongest hint it is going to give you that you should use sga.

Try using "dmesg" or a tail -f /var/log/messages when you run X.

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** +31-15-2137555 ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ **
Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a