Re: Backtracking in color scanning

Michael Ritzert (Ritzert@t-online.de)
Sat, 30 Aug 1997 11:44:00 +0200 (CEST)

Hallo shendrix!

On 29-Aug-97 shendrix@gypsy.atlantic.infi.net wrote:

>> If increasing the scan buffer size to 127.5KB doesn't help, the
>> backtracking could be due to timing problems. If the scanner software
>> is too slow to issue the next "read data" command then backtracking
>> would occur. What kind of computer are you using and how much memory
>> does it have?
>
>Since I'm having the same problem, I'll reply here.

Well, I also have this problem, so I join this thread, too.

>I have a Pentium 200 with 96mb RAM and the scanner is on its own Adaptec
>1540 controller. The buffer is 128K and my scanning is very slow and does
>the backtracking. Turning backtrack has no substantial speedup and the
>colors are completely screwed up.

The color problem might be solved by compiling with --disable-ld-fix.

I have the Mustek MFS-12000SP. It's connected to an Adaptec AHA 1542CF as the
only device. The harddisks are connected to an AHA 2940UW. The computer is an
PPro 200, 64MB RAM. Buffer size is 127.5 kB. Sane version 0.62.

>Grayscale is great, and fast. Color under Windows is fast too. Of
>course, now I cannot use it under Windows because the TWAIN driver
>won't support my Adaptec.

It actually does. I only had to load ASPI4DOS.??? in my config.sys and
reinstall the TWAIN driver and it worked fine. It only brought the processor
to near 100% load under Win95...
If it doesn't work with your version of the TWAIN driver or if you don't
have ASPI4DOS, feel free to contact me for more information.

Ciao, Michael

---
    _
|\/|_)  -=> Ritzert@T-Online.de <=-