Fri, 29 Aug 97 14:13:36 -0400

In message <199708291754.KAA02430@hopper.mosberger>
David.Mosberger@acm.org (> ) writes:

>i-koblenz.de> said:

> Rainer> What suprises me a lot, is that under windows doing the same
> Rainer> scanprocess at the same resolution (via the mustec-twain
> Rainer> driver) does not cause backtracking to occur and is
> Rainer> completed much much faster (not even half the time).
>
> What size scan-buffer are you using? If you're using the default size
> of 32KB, could you try increasing it to 127.5KB? See sane-scsi(5) for
> info on how to do that.
>
> If increasing the scan buffer size to 127.5KB doesn't help, the
> backtracking could be due to timing problems. If the scanner software
> is too slow to issue the next "read data" command then backtracking
> would occur. What kind of computer are you using and how much memory
> does it have?

Since I'm having the same problem, I'll reply here.

I have a Pentium 200 with 96mb RAM and the scanner is on its own Adaptec
1540 controller. The buffer is 128K and my scanning is very slow and does
the backtracking. Turning backtrack has no substantial speedup and the
colors are completely screwed up.

Grayscale is great, and fast. Color under Windows is fast too. Of
course, now I cannot use it under Windows because the TWAIN driver
won't support my Adaptec.