Nikon LS-1000

Didier Carlier (didier.carlier@sema.be)
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 08:30:36 -0700

PHM> I've found a Linux driver for Nikon LS-20 at
PHM> <ftp://ftp.nvg.ntnu.no/pub/linux/sunsite/apps/graphics/capture/coolscan-0.2.tgz>,
PHM> but this one specifies that it won't work on the LS-1000 (how
PHM> typical!). I've contacted the Norwegian Nikon representative,
PHM> in order to get technical manuals, but they've been slow to
PHM> respond.
PHM> I need to know if there are any "standard" commands for
PHM> scanning, or if this differs for each scanner. I need to know
PHM> if there are anything I can do that would damage the
PHM> scanner. In fact, any and all input from you guys out there
PHM> would be appreciated!

The driver you mention doesn't work with the LS-20, it is for the
original Nikon coolscan which has quite a different interface.

I have an LS-20 and I'm in the process of writing a SANE backend for
it. Since the LS-1000 and the LS-20 almost share the same interface it
should be possible to have one backend for the 2 scanners (I received
the Coolscan specifications this morning and the document covers both
the LS-20 and the LS-1000).

I have the impression that it could be worth trying to share our
efforts at some point ?

Didier Carlier