Re: sane requiremtns

Michael K. Johnson (johnsonm@redhat.com)
Sat, 05 Jul 1997 12:45:57 -0400

"Roeland Th. Jansen" writes:
>I have a primax SC420 scanner.
>
>What are the exact requirements needed by developers to get things going
>under linux (et al) ?

A scanner and technical documentation for the protocol used to talk to
the scanner. You will need to talk to primax to get that technical
documentation, of course. If you intend to be a developer, getting that
documentation will be what you need to do. If you are trying to find
someone else to write the driver, you will need to provide them with
a scanner. It's extremely hard to write a driver for a scanner that
you do not have, especially if it isn't related to one you have. I
wrote the UMAX driver for my S6, and despite the fact that I wrote the
driver to be reasonably easy to extend to support other scanners, it
took a LOT of trial and error to support some other scanners in the
UMAX line. And UMAX is relatively good about keeping their scanners
similar and pretty much following their technical documentation...

Good luck!

michaelkjohnson