Re: Sane on NeXT/OpenStep - a plea for help

Raymond A. Ingles (inglesra@frc.com)
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:49:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997, Neville Wilford wrote:
> My scanner is an OEM version Mustek 600 II CD single-pass. After
> some difficulty it can now be persuaded to work with either Win'95 or
> NT using an Adaptec 2940UW or a Symbios/NCR 810 card. NeXTStep
> support would be far preferable.
>
> The OEM feature means that its SCSI-ID string is "SCANNER" rather
> than "MUSTEK".

I think I've got one of those. It was labeled as a "TwainScan II SP".

Doing 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi' gives:
-----------------
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
Vendor: SCANNER Model: Rev: 2.01
Type: Scanner ANSI SCSI revision: 01 CCS
-----------------

The old, deprecated 'mscan' program works fine with my ncr53c825. I
haven't gotten SANE working but I haven't exactly played with it a lot -
I'm not even sure I compiled it correctly.

It seems that the Mustek backend, from my extremely cursory perusal,
relies on known 'Model:' values to configure itself. My scanner, though,
doesn't appear to fill in that field. How bad a problem is this?

Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (248) 377-7735 ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
- Anonymous' restatement of Clarke