Re: Sane on NeXT/OpenStep - a plea for help

Michael K. Johnson (johnsonm@redhat.com)
Sat, 14 Jun 1997 20:50:05 -0400

Neville Wilford writes:
>I would love to be able to compile SANE for OpenStep in order to use
>the Mustek scanner I have. One of the linux mustek drivers has been
>ported to NeXTStep but this doesn't support my scanner.
>Can anyone advise me whether this is completely a lost cause?

I doubt it, if there is generic scsi support sufficient to support
another SCSI scanner.

>Are there any subscribers to the list with NeXT/OpenStep experience?

That I can't answer, but if you can tell us exactly which mustek driver
supports NeXTStep, including a pointer to the source code, we'll have
a higher probability of being able to help. Internet access to your
machine for one developer probably would also help.

Generic SCSI support is far from standardized, and so it has to be
written anew for just about every platform. This takes some programming
knowledge.

I'd say that supporting NeXTStep would be nice, not only for NeXTStep,
but also because it will likely work then on Apple's Rhapsody when it
is released.

michaelkjohnson