Re: HP support

Worawut Wisutmethangoon (wisutmet@cae.wisc.edu)
Sun, 25 May 1997 15:31:08 -0500

David Mosberger-Tang wrote:

> Sascha> Hi, who is working on the HP Support. I get allways a core
> Sascha> if I want to use the preview window (not enough colormap
> Sascha> entries). Scanning without preview works. But for that I
> Sascha> could have used hpscanimage. I would like to help a bit, if
> Sascha> I can.
>
> What version of SANE and gtk are you using? There are known problems
> with older versions of GTK but sane-0.57.tar.gz with
> gtk+970426-davidm.tar.gz works as far as I know (both can be found at
> the SANE ftp site).

Hello All,

I'd like to add that I also have the same problem; preview doesn't
work for me. My scanner is HP Scanjet 5p, though. I use sane-0.57 and
gtk
rpm from redhat contribution packages. The gtk rpm contains

libgdk.so.1.0.0
libgtk.so.1.0.0
libgimp.so.1.0.0
libgimpui.so.1.0.0
libglib.so.1.0.0

I downloaded the gtk+970426-davidm.tar.gz but could not compile
it. The file README and INSTALL are empty.

I also cannot run the installed [x]scanimage programs. I have to
run it from the sane-0.57/frontend/ directory. It seems to me that the
programs in the sane-0.57/frontend/ directory are the wrappers of the
programs hidden in sane-0.57/frontend/.libs. Somehow the installation
copied those files to /usr/local/bin/ but did not copy the wrappers.

To run xscanimage, I need to type in the sane-0.57/frontend/
./xscanimage hp
Without the argument hp it will popup device selection window with
options pnm:0 and pnm:1. Both do not work with my scanner.

Also, with scanimage I cannot use geometry options ( -t -l -x -y).
For example, with the command
./scanimage -d hp -x 200 -y 200 --mode Color --resolution 100 >
out.pnm
I got the following error
scanimage: setting of option --br-x failed (Invalid argument)
Or
./scanimage -d hp -t 0 -l 0 --mode Color --resolution 100 > out.pnm
gives
scanimage: setting of option --tl-y failed (Invalid argument)

This is very similar error to what I got when trying to scan preview
in the xscanimage.

Error: Failed restore value of option tl-x: Invalid argument.
Error: Failed restore value of option tl-y: Invalid argument.

I wonder if there is connection between the two.
Another thing, the default resolution is set to 18 dpi. Why is it so
coarse? Is there a way to set the the to something finer?

Lastly, I'd like to thank all the developers of SANE. Keep up the good
work.

Thanks,
Worawut W.